Notes: LIS 2600 Unit 3 Computer Software
Introduction to Linux: http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
Unix help standardize computer operating systems so that software could be shared across several different computers.
- But is was slow on home computers
Linus, wanted to bring Unix to the home pc
- Linux developed from his work, and pc's were able to run the system
Linux has advanced and it should be considered a viable alternative to operating systems like Microsoft and Mac - it can run word processors and other popular software programs.
- Did not know that amazon ran on Linux
- Covers a wide range of devices, computers, mobiles, pdas
At first, Linux was hard to use, unless you were a programmer.
- Companies developed Linux suitable for the masses, with a simple user interface
- Desktop applications were created to make Linux more user friendly
Linux is an Open Source software: anyone can program, help de-bug and improve the program.
- Linux is free
You, the user can control linux, and protect your machine from viruses and adware...
Yet, because Linux is so changeable, there are many versions out there and it can be confusing.
- But most GNU tools are free and most users can access the tools to learn how work the system and how to implement software onto the system.
A checklist at the end for the beginner Linux user makes it more accessible to those who have no idea what Linux is or how to run it.
I think any individual who seriously wants to pursue information technology literacy should acquaint themselves with Linux. It would be worthwhile to be able to help any user, no matter what operating system they use.
What is Mac OS X? http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx//
This is undoubtably the most detailed, confusing book on Mac OS X.
- Singh references operating systems, and programmers that unless you were working in that field, the reference is completely lost.
- Also, the information within the main body of the book is only really relevant if you are a software programmer.
Thankfully, I am a Mac user, and have been for almost ten years, so I really don't feel at a loss for not understanding.
Although, his conclusion makes a strong case for the Mac OS X system, and a great tool for a quick link to share when trying to accurately describe it.
Now I know where to go if I ever need to know the most specific detail about Mac OS X.
Mac OS X http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
This article on wikipedia is much more user friendly, and easier to understand.
It gives a good background on the development on OS X, without all the software programmer jargon, and in a more succinct manner.
This article also describes the connection between OS X and Unix, in a way that I was fully able to understand.
Even though wikipedia can be a less than reliable source, for simple questions about the OS X system it is way more functional than the Singh website (for the general population i.e. not software programmers).
An Update on the Windows Roadmap http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/06/27/an-update-on-the-windows-roadmap.aspx
This letter details the state of Windows operating systems, as of June 27, 2008.
It addresses concerns about the lack of support for XP users come 2011, but extends that support to 2014.
It also details the availability of XP in the future, but the letter goes onto detail, that one should probably start familiarizing themself with Vista, so that when Windows 7 arrives, they will be able to transition better.
The article goes on to recognize the failures and problems with Vista, and how Windows is working to improve them.
- The new Windows 7 will be more secure, without compromising compatibility with hardware.
The document basically argues for Vista now in preparation for 7.
Maybe it is because I am a Mac user, and have never actually had to use Vista before, but when I go to spend a lot of money on a personal computer I do not want to worry about things like compromising software capability for a secure system. Reading this letter makes me even less likely to want to use Vista - why would I purchase a machine, for myself or my employer, that recognizes there are large flaws in its architecture, and promises that if you hold on and wait for the next version it will get better? Sounds risky.

If a company knows the flaws of a system then they can work on fixing them. I would be more worried if they said the system was perfect. Although, I do agree with you that there were a lot of flaws for a brand new system. The flaws should emerge after the system has been used by a majority of the users.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding me that LINUX is free, somehow this escaped my notes.
ReplyDeleteAdditionally, I also find the inclusion of Vista's security and software limitations unfortunate. While I am a Mac user, I do not feel this clouds my overall desire for Vista to be a viable operating system. I find myself using Windows machines quite often in the library setting; I would like to feel comfortable in my perspective use of them in the professional field! Unfortunately, I must agree that this letter leaves me also feeling uneasy.
It seems that many of us are Mac users. I was the only one at my last work place. Mac seems to be doing well on college campuses, which will eventually translate into many users in the work place. Since my last employer exclusively used Windows machines, I am familiar with both systems. Although, the IT guys refused to update to Vista. It sounds like they won't have much of a choice in the near future.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, operating systems only matter in so far as they either assist users in being productive or hamper them. Many of us will never utilize the full power of any of the three systems.
I really agree with your assement of the Windows Vista article - it made me even less inclined to want to use it than I had been before. I am a bit biased as a mac user myself, but everything about my mac seems so easy and stress free. It's like I'd have to put in a lot of effort to switch to a Windows, with anti-virus software and everything. I don't really mind Windows - I use them in the library - but with such a weak argument I think it will be difficult to turn more users to Windows users.
ReplyDelete